These instructions will serve as a guideline for the installation of our ModDotz™ Porcelain Penny Rounds. We advise you to hire a licensed professional tile installer who is experienced with the installation of porcelain tile.
It is important that you inspect your entire order to ensure that it is acceptable before installation. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your order please contact us WITHIN THREE DAYS of delivery at 877-439-9734 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Installation Constitutes Acceptance.
Preparing the existing surface is the most critical task of any tile installation. The tile must be placed on a rigid, level, plumb and structurally sound surface to avoid problems. The surface should be clean, dry and free of contaminants that could prevent a good bond.
The recommended substrate is a cement backer board such as HardieBacker. Gypsum board may also be acceptable for interior dry installations only.
Use modified latex thin-set or mastic to install ModDotz™ Porcelain Penny Rounds.
Rubber Grout Float, Large Bucket, 3/16” V Notched Trowel, Sponge, Lint Free Cloth and a Wet Saw with a Diamond Blade appropriate for porcelain tile.
- Using a 3/16" V-notched trowel, evenly spread thin-set over the substrate, combing thin-set with the notched side of trowel.
- Push the mesh side of each sheet of ModDotz™ into thin-set, arranging sheets so they interlock together evenly. “Sighting” down the tiles from different angles will help to ensure proper alignment. Wipe thin-set from surface of penny rounds.
- Allow thin-set to cure for 24 hours before grouting. Apply sanded or non-sanded grout with tile float. Sanded grout is recommended for floor installations and installations in wet areas.
- Make sure that all the grout joints have been filled and wipe away excess as you go. Leave the grout to dry for 10-20 minutes.
- Using a slightly damp sponge, wipe across ModDotz™ Porcelain Penny Rounds to remove the grout film from the surface of the tile. Turn the sponge after each wipe, using each side of the sponge only once.
- Wait another 10-20 minutes or until grout starts to dry and repeat. Wipe penny rounds with a lint-free cloth as the final step buffing away all residual grout from the surface of the penny rounds.
Beware of Grout Haze:
Grout haze is a very thin layer of grout which has been allowed to dry on the surface of the tile. During installation the grout must be completely wiped from the tile surface and then the tops of the tiles buffed with a soft cloth to remove any residual grout film. Once the grout dries overnight there is little that can be done to remove grout haze, aside from washing the tile with one of the commercial acid grout haze removers.
ModDotz™ can be cut with a diamond blade wet saw. Individual penny rounds can also be removed from the mesh and moved to fill in where necessary. Make sure to remove mesh from cutting path before cutting tiles, as cutting with the mesh attached can result in damaged tile!
A damp sponge and/ or non abrasive cleaners are sufficient to keep this tile clean.
Use a urethane or epoxy grout to prevent grout joints from becoming discolored by stains and mildew.